Sunday, July 09, 2006

It's confirmed

I originally wanted to call this blog "Oh sh**, you're pregnant" but that was bound to offend people, namely myself, my own family, and especially those who consider "fetch", "flip", and "oh my heck" to be offensive language. Even though that initial title was pretty much the first thing that came to my mind when I was greeted by my wife with the news of her blood test results. As of today she is two weeks late on her period, has been feeling sick to her stomach for the past three days, and has been feeling tender around her mid-section for awhile too.

Although I was half right when I thought that she was experiencing some pain that was not associated with pregnancy. That's a bit of a moot point now, since she has finished her prescription for her bladder infection, and she's also feeling much better in that department. But for some odd reason, I was still holding onto the idea that she had stomach flu, and she was experiencing some rare case of amenorrhea that wasn't associated with pregnancy.

Turns out I was living in denial. The blood test confirms that my dear wife of nearly three years is pregnant for the second time. Hopefully this will fair much better than the previous time, and since we found out the results of the pregnancy test at home rather than an ER, things are looking quite good.

Nothing is showing right now, and that's probably a good thing! I've heard most women don't start to show until the 2nd trimester, sometimes the 3rd. Seeing that Caitlin is 5'10", I'm also supposing that she'll carry baby quite well. I could be talking out of my ear on that one. We'll have to talk to my mother-in-law about getting some maternity clothing, like a swimsuit. We plan to get involved in some aqua aerobic classes at Grant MacEwan College, and right now she's okay for swimwear, but by January... Maybe not. The reason I mention my mother-in-law and not a maternity store, is because commercially available maternity swimwear is terrible, according to my wife. Works out better for us because it'll be cheaper for us, and if my wife prefers something homemade over store bought, all the better.

Now it's just a matter of letting the masses know. Hence this blog. I don't know how many of our friends and family are going to want to know how we're doing every hour of every day, but this should make things easier. I will be talking to my parents and siblings on a fairly consistent basis (maybe semi-monthly instead of bi-monthly), but pictures are a little harder to show over the phone. Unless your have ADSL, which works over a phone line, but that's beside the point.

The next nine, possibly eight, months are going to be interesting. I will be done my Electrical Engineering degree by December, so I could be in the workforce as early as January. I'll have to take time off when baby comes in February/March, but that's normal. I suppose working retail has some kind of benifit of preparing me for what's coming. Hmmm... yeah. Like how countless hours of drill would have helped the front line soldiers at the beaches of Normandy.

Perhaps our family motto is thing to reflect on right now. After all it's what helped pull us through a car accident, the miscarriage, and May 16.
"We're going to be okay."

No comments: